The Los Angeles Unified School District has ordered the nationally-acclaimed Family Literacy Program to close its doors after 19 years of operation. Families are devastated, and are rallying to keep the doors open. School administrators told staff there’s no money in the budget to make up for the loss of a $450,000 annual grant from First 5 LA that had supported a large part of the program’s costs.
Please help keep the doors open! Here’s the plan. With your help, we will succeed:
1. JOIN OUR RALLY TO SAVE FAMILY LITERACY!
Bring your friends, families, neighbors! Bring a sign! Let your voice be heard! (And don’t forget to wear RED.)
flyer by Repairs, not iPads
2. TAKE A MINUTE TO JOIN OUR EMAIL CAMPAIGN!
Here’s how: Copy and paste the following message, and send it as an email to LAUSD Supt. John Deasy. Copy and paste the email addresses listed below into the “CC” field of your email. This will allow you to send a copy of your message to the school board, mayor, city council and board of supervisors. For the message, choose English or Spanish. You may add more if you wish. Subject: SAVE FAMILY LITERACY! Message: Save the LAUSD Family Literacy Program. It builds bright futures. It works. It benefits all Angelenos. Or Subject: ¡SALVEN EL PROGRAMA DE APRENDIZAJE FAMILIAR! Message: ¡Salven el programa de aprendizaje familiar! Construye meyores futuros. Funciona bien. Beneficia a todos los Angelinos. HERE ARE THE ADDRESSES: In the “TO” field, copy and paste the following: firstname.lastname@example.org Copy and paste ALL of the following email addresses into the “CC” section of your email:
3. FORWARD THIS EMAIL TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW.
TELL THEM THE LAUSD FAMILY LITERACY PROGRAM IS IMPORTANT TO YOU.
ASK THEM TO FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS AND JOIN OUR EMAIL CAMPAIGN.
SAVE FAMILY LITERACY!
Here are some points you might include in your email:
- LA Family Literacy is a distinguished and nationally-acclaimed program.
- Research shows that it works!
- It is a treasure of public education in our city, and benefits all the citizens of Los Angeles.
- This program saves lives. It helps people make a better future for themselves. In doing that, they make a better future for all of us.
- We must continue this program to assure the future success of children and families in our school district.
- Please bridge the program so we can work together and find a solution.
- Website: www.lafamilyliteracy.org
- Twitter: @LAFamLiteracy
- FB: LAFamilyLiteracy